Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Spring Migration 2013

The oppressive heat of the past week has me yearning to get back into the woods. I wanted to share some of the pics I got during one of my spring outings to Potato Creek State Park...

The first is one of my favorite birds - Hooded Warbler. Their ringing song is surprisingly loud and clear for such a small bird. Besides Potato Creek, another reliable place to find Hooded Warbler in the South Bend area is Rum Village Park.


Another spring beauty is the Blackburnian Warbler a.k.a. Firethroat. They are most commonly seen during spring migration on their way to nesting grounds in northern coniferous forests.


Even though this picture of an Ovenbird in take-off mode is blurred, I liked the effect... Even though their loud "Teacher, Teacher, Teacher" call can often be heard in area woodlands, they can be difficult to find. The name Ovenbird comes from the shape of their nest which is built on the ground.


More often seen than  heard - White-eyed Vireo.


I loved the inquisitive look of this Scarlet Tanager. The female was sitting directly below him.




No comments:

Post a Comment